Friday, May 16, 2008

M is for Millipede and Misty Marsh

Although they are supposed to be all over the southeast, this was the first millipede I remember seeing here. It was in the Francis Beidler Forest, an Audubon Reserve near here. Millipedes don't really have a thousand legs, but usually 50 pairs at the max. And unlike centipedes that can sting with their front two legs, millipedes are harmless. This one is called the banded millipede. In South Africa they are called Shongololo--I like the sound of it.



I never get tired of looking at our marsh. This is the view from my computer--zoomed in a little. On cool mornings when the tide is high enough, beautiful mists rise off the water as the sun comes up on the far side of the salt marsh. Because of the tide, there is virtually no water twice a day and also all the grasses you see are covered with water twice a day. The tide changes nearly an hour a day, so it's always different when I look out. Lots of wading birds, ducks in the winter, cormorants, and even an otter come by. We are so lucky to have it!
Please send questions and comments to me at:
Thanks.