Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Birds of the day

Poor Mr. Bluebird--sitting on a house that has the nest ruined in it again. It was sideways as if a wren were taking it over and the heavy, but now cold eggs were on the floor of the house under the nest. This is the second brood they've lost. I hope they try again.
At least he got a big bug for himself.


This was the reddest cardinal I've ever seen. Of course he didn't want to show his front to the camera.

A picture just doesn't show how red he was!

Then she joined him. It was so hard trying to get them both looking up and nice.




Mustn't forget the painted buntings. She looking rather inscrutable and he looking a bit curious about her.


I was ready when Mr. white-breasted nuthatch appeared again!




I saw a tiny bird at a distance in the wisteria. I had the camera rather than the binoculars so I used it to identify a blue-gray gnatcatcher. He proceeded to groom himself. I never knew they had that prominent eyebrow before.




It was quite exciting to have the blue grosbeack on the upstairs feeders!
He and the painted bunting glared at each other for a bit.


But then ignored each other and went back to eating.


It really is a gross, in the size sense, beak!

>
Now three crummy pictures of the indigo bunting who insists on staying far away in poor light where he can only be seen through a tinted thermal window. But he's so pretty!
For size--he's tiny.

Oh, how I wish this shot had been good! Indogo buning on top of feeder, painted bunting to the right, cardinal to the left, and female blue grosbeak at the bottom. Oh well.

I've had no email access for three days while my server supposedly was upgrading. It was only supposed to take half a day. So I posted too many pictures today to make up for it.


Please email any questions or comments to:
bwkrucke@gmail.com

Thanks.